MIT’s field hockey team comes out with 4-3 victory in overtime

MIT thwarts Springfield’s attempted rally from behind

Siobhan K. Rigby ’16 found the back of the cage with 1:01 remaining in overtime to give MIT a 4-3 victory over Springfield College in a NEWMAC field hockey game on Saturday, September 20. Caitlin A. Mackey ’15 registered one goal and one assist for the Engineers (6-0, 1-0 NEWMAC) while Jamie Raccosta also paced the Pride (3-2, 0-1 NEWMAC) with one goal and one assist.

Springfield threatened to get on the board first courtesy of a fastbreak by Maggie Kennedy and Katie Gill but Gill’s attempt on goal was turned away by junior Paige V. Kennedy ’16. MIT countered by scoring the first goal of the game after 10:04 expired. With several players in front of the goal, Emily Penn ’18 managed to send a pass while on the ground to the nearside of the arc where Molly C. McNamara ‘16 flipped the ball into the net. The Engineers then extended their lead to 2-0 at the 17:40 mark following a penalty corner that saw Krishna L. Jaitly ’17 convert a pass from Mackey.

The Pride’s defense fought off four penalty corners and seven shots on goal during the next 10 minutes. A defensive save by Olivia Cabral on MIT’s last bid sparked a breakaway by Kristina Krull who slipped the ball just inside the near post.

Springfield carried the momentum into the second stanza as it generated a pair of penalty corners that resulted in two shots on goal; however, it was Mackey who gave the Engineers some breathing room following 4:38 of action. After intercepting a pass at midfield, she found herself in a one-on-one situation with goalie Timarie Villa and then tapped the ball in to establish a 3-1 cushion.

Although the game became a back-and-forth affair, MIT had a slight edge in time of possession but the Pride took advantage of the few opportunities that materialized as it tied the game with 5:23 left in regulation. On a penalty corner, Raccosta set up Linnea Quist with 18:58 on clock while Raccosta scored the equalizer following a scramble after another penalty corner. The Engineers mounted one last charge but Villa turned away three shots while Jess Lawson recorded a defensive save.

Like the second half, Springfield had a quick start in the overtime session with a shot on goal by Quist and a penalty corner. After a penalty corner by the Cardinal and Gray, Gill came up with the ball and sprinted down the middle of the field. Kennedy came off her line to the top of the arc where she forced Gill to the farside and cut down her angle, causing her shot to go wide of the net. Villa responded moments later by using her stick on a diving stop to deny Mackey the game-winner.

Following an exchange of penalty corners, Rigby nearly ended the affair but her attempt glanced off the far post. The Pride countered with a Krull shot that was stopped by Kennedy and was then awarded a penalty corner. Krull’s next bid, which came with two minutes left, was once again kicked away by Kennedy. MIT’s Tate E. DeWeese ’17 emerged with the loose ball and initiated the fast break that resulted in her setting up Rigby for the final goal of the game.

In net, Kennedy finished with eight saves for the Engineers while Villa amassed 15 saves for the visitors.

MIT returns to action on Thursday, Sept. 25 when it hosts non-conference foe Endicott College. Springfield, meanwhile, resumes play on Tuesday, Sept. 23 with a home game against Amherst College.