Drammis reaches 1,000 points in loss

In 58-55 defeat to Coast Guard, Drammis becomes first player since 1999 to score over 1000 pts.

Three free throws during the final 17 seconds of regulation capped off a second-half rally that helped the U.S. Coast Guard Academy come from behind to defeat MIT, 58-55, in a NEWMAC women’s basketball game on Saturday. Despite the setback, the Engineers (11-14, 7-9) will continue their season in the quarterfinals of the NEWMAC Tournament on Wednesday, Feb. 25.

Sabrina M. Drammis ’16 tallied 19 rebounds, 13 points, and three steals for MIT as she became the seventh player in program history and first since 1999 to eclipse the 1,000-point mark. Maya K. Ramachandran ’16 compiled eight points, seven rebounds, five blocks, and four assists while Mari R. Kordell ’15 registered 13 points and five boards. Osheiza Otori ’15 also recorded 13 points, followed by eight from Alexxis R. Isaac ’15. Liana R. Ilutzi ’17 rounded out the squad with three assists.

The Engineers scored the first five points before eventually going up 29-9 with 7:30 left in the opening frame. Coast Guard chipped away at the deficit down the stretch, closing the gap to 33-24 with 11 seconds to go. MIT reestablished its double-digit lead right before time expired courtesy of two free throws by Kordell.

The Bears buried a three-pointer to start the second stanza but the Engineers rattled off six straight points as back-to-back Ramachandran layups increased the lead to 41-27 at the 17:06 mark. Over the course of the next four minutes, Coast Guard responded by evening the score at 41. The visitors countered with nine straight points to pull in front midway through the half.

The Bears slowly put together a 12-2 run as a layup gave them a 53-52 edge with 2:42 on the clock. MIT regained the lead on two free throws by Isaac 36 seconds later but Coast Guard went ahead on a layup with 1:25 to go. Fouled during the Cardinal and Gray’s next possession, Drammis drained one of two shots at the charity stripe to tie the game at 55. The Bears failed to connect on their two free throw attempts with 47 seconds remaining; however, a turnover set up what proved to be the hosts’ game-winning free throws with 17 seconds left.

Kordell’s bid to knot the game fell short as Coast Guard grabbed the rebound with 6.4 ticks on the clock. MIT immediately fouled, putting the Bears back at the free throw line. Coast Guard missed both shots but hauled in the offensive board before adding another free throw with just over a second remaining.